Have I told you how much I love breakfast? It's my favorite meal of the day. If for some reason, I don't get to eat until lunch time, I will still need to have breakfast first. I could have breakfast for three meals a day. In fact in college that's what I usually did. And then I wondered why I had gained the freshman 15 from eating low fat pancake mix all day. Anyways, that's a whole other topic. Back to my love for breakfast....it starts with syrup. AHHHHH I love syrup. So much that I only keep sugar free maple sugar syrup in the house. Which once you get used to it isn't bad. I love pancakes, french toast, and especially waffles! However, all of that good syrupy food is not what you call clean eating. So to stay sane, I make healthy pumpkin pancakes, whole grain french toast, and healthy low carb waffles topped with sugar free syrup and strawberries. This is all easy to do when you are in your own kitchen with your own ingredients. But what do you do if you are out of town??? Last weekend I went to Portland, ME and had a fabulous time. I had planned ahead and decided that one day would be my cheat day and the next day on the way home I would have to behave myself. The trip home we started the day with breakfast at the hotel before we left. On the menu was the usual breakfast goodies. I REALLY wanted to get a waffle and a bucket of real maple syrup but unfortunately I had already had my cheat. I also knew that I had a long day ahead of me and I would not want to feel like I was in a sugar coma for hours. So I politely told the waiter I would like the 3 egg omelet with green peppers, spinach, and mushrooms, dry whole grain toast, with a fruit platter for my husband and I to share. While I was waiting for my food to come the guy beside me ordered a waffle. I gave him a dirty look. Our breakfast finally came and it was delicious! It was also beautiful and colorful. They mistakenly gave me homefries with my meal I quickly handed those off to my husband so I would not be tempted. I ate until I was satisfied and then we left. I felt great! I felt confident for following through with my commitment but my body also felt great. I had given my body the correct fuel to run. I know how I would have felt if I would have gotten the waffle. I would have had a moment of bliss with the first few gulps of syrup running down my face but after that I would have felt guilty and frumpy. A place I have been many times and IT IS NEVER WORTH IT. It felt so good to say NO. I no longer had remorse for not eating the waffle. I left with a big smile on my face.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
....and in the morning I'm making waffles!
Have I told you how much I love breakfast? It's my favorite meal of the day. If for some reason, I don't get to eat until lunch time, I will still need to have breakfast first. I could have breakfast for three meals a day. In fact in college that's what I usually did. And then I wondered why I had gained the freshman 15 from eating low fat pancake mix all day. Anyways, that's a whole other topic. Back to my love for breakfast....it starts with syrup. AHHHHH I love syrup. So much that I only keep sugar free maple sugar syrup in the house. Which once you get used to it isn't bad. I love pancakes, french toast, and especially waffles! However, all of that good syrupy food is not what you call clean eating. So to stay sane, I make healthy pumpkin pancakes, whole grain french toast, and healthy low carb waffles topped with sugar free syrup and strawberries. This is all easy to do when you are in your own kitchen with your own ingredients. But what do you do if you are out of town??? Last weekend I went to Portland, ME and had a fabulous time. I had planned ahead and decided that one day would be my cheat day and the next day on the way home I would have to behave myself. The trip home we started the day with breakfast at the hotel before we left. On the menu was the usual breakfast goodies. I REALLY wanted to get a waffle and a bucket of real maple syrup but unfortunately I had already had my cheat. I also knew that I had a long day ahead of me and I would not want to feel like I was in a sugar coma for hours. So I politely told the waiter I would like the 3 egg omelet with green peppers, spinach, and mushrooms, dry whole grain toast, with a fruit platter for my husband and I to share. While I was waiting for my food to come the guy beside me ordered a waffle. I gave him a dirty look. Our breakfast finally came and it was delicious! It was also beautiful and colorful. They mistakenly gave me homefries with my meal I quickly handed those off to my husband so I would not be tempted. I ate until I was satisfied and then we left. I felt great! I felt confident for following through with my commitment but my body also felt great. I had given my body the correct fuel to run. I know how I would have felt if I would have gotten the waffle. I would have had a moment of bliss with the first few gulps of syrup running down my face but after that I would have felt guilty and frumpy. A place I have been many times and IT IS NEVER WORTH IT. It felt so good to say NO. I no longer had remorse for not eating the waffle. I left with a big smile on my face.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment